Review: ‘Twisted Love’ by Ana Huang
Twisted Loveby Ana Huang
Series: Twisted #1
Published by Bloom Books on April 21, 2021
SubGenres: Contemporary Romance, Interracial Romance, Multicultural Romance
Format: AudioBook, Paperback
Source: Library, Purchased
Add to Goodreads
Purchase at Amazon | Barnes & Noble
He has a heart of ice...but for her, he'd burn the world.
Alex Volkov is a devil blessed with the face of an angel and cursed with a past he can't escape.
Driven by a tragedy that has haunted him for most of his life, his ruthless pursuits for success and vengeance leave little room for matters of the heart.
But when he's forced to look after his best friend's sister, he starts to feel something in his chest:
A crack.A melt.A fire that could end his world as he knew it.
Ava Chen is a free spirit trapped by nightmares of a childhood she can't remember.
But despite her broken past, she's never stopped seeing the beauty in the world...including the heart beneath the icy exterior of a man she shouldn't want.
Her brother's best friend.Her neighbor.Her savior and her downfall.
Theirs is a love that was never supposed to happen-but when it does, it unleashes secrets that could destroy them both...and everything they hold dear.
Twisted Love is a brother's best friend/opposites attract romance with a hint of suspense. It's book one in the Twisted series but can be read as a standalone.
WARNING: This book contains a jealous/possessive antihero, explicit sexual content, and profanity. Recommended for 18+.
I’ve been meaning to read a book from Ana Huang and finally picked up Twisted Love, which is the first book in her Twisted Series.
I won’t go into the storyline because the synopsis gives enough information on what to expect. I will go over my likes/dislikes.
What I liked:
- I’ve always been a fan of over-the-top possessive alpha MMCs in romance books, and Alex was definitely one of those MMCs. He also was the typical grumpy, bad boy MMC who doesn’t like anyone, but he would burn the world down for the FMC. He’s also a MMC who doesn’t do gentle when it comes to the bedroom.
- Ava Chen was sunshiney to Alex’s grump, but she wasn’t going to allow him to walk over her. She held her own when it came to him, and she even pushed him to open up his icy heart to her. I love FMCs, who banter back with the MMCs.
- This was a good start to the Twisted Series, introducing not only the main characters but the secondary characters. I actually liked Ava’s girlfriend group: Bridget, Jules, and Stella.
- The plot was entertaining and kept me turning the pages. It does have some potential triggering moments that involve Ava, especially with what she endured when she was a child and later found out who was involved with what happened to her. It broke my heart when she found out the truth, but I’m glad Alex was there to assist.
What bothered me:
- Some of the sexy times between Alex and Ava were cringeworthy, and I found myself skipping over them, especially with how certain body parts were described and such. “Folds being one of them.” But this is my opinion, and other readers may not be bothered by it.
- The ending was a bit rushed, especially when it came to Alex’s vengeance twist that happened. I was confused, especially when Ava was put in danger and how Alex reacted.
- I always love a good grovel, and I loved that Ava didn’t take Alex back right away, but a year is extensive. I felt I missed out on a lot of things and felt these two would have been happier not getting back together if they waited that long.
Overall, this was a good book, and I give it 3.5 stars. I’m glad I read it, especially since it had some of my favorite tropes: Brother’s Best Friend, Grumpy/Sunshine, and Forced Proximity.
Will I read the next book? Yes. I’m looking forward to it since it’s Bridget’s book, and it’s a bodyguard/age gap/forbidden romance.
Story Rating: ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️.5
Standalone or Part of Series: It’s part of the Twisted Series.
Would I recommend this book? Yes.
Genre/SubGenre: Romance | Contemporary Romance | Multicultural Romance | Interracial Romance
Trope(s)/Element(s): Billionaire | Brother’s Best Friend | Forced Proximity | Grumpy vs. Sunshine | Neighbors | Opposite’s Attract